|Guided Learning Hours||61|
|Total Qualification Time||129|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||601/6581/9|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/09/2015|
|Qualification Review Date||31/12/2018|
|Certification End Date||31/12/2021|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
This qualification has been developed in partnership with the Association for Physical Education (afPE) and is supported by employers and the industry. The 1st4Sport Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Physical Development and Physical Activity in the Early Years has been designed to help up-skill the early-years workforce in the area of physical development for children aged 0-5, as well as develop a lasting appreciation for healthy living and physical activity in both children and parents/guardians. During the achievement of the qualification you will complete the following learning outcomes:
- Be able to understand the principles of physical development and early movement skills
- Be able to understand the principles of safe practice in an early years environment
- Be able to promote healthy living and well-being to children aged 0-5, as well as parents/guardians of children aged 0-5
- Be able to plan, deliver and review physical activity sessions linked to a particular area of physical development
- Be able to assess and observe children in an early years environment against expected development patterns.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Learners are required to:
- be appropriately identified
- be at least 17 years of agehold a Level 2 physical education or sport related qualification, examples include:
- the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport
- Level 2 Certificate in Children’s Care, Learning and Development
- Level 2 Certificate for the Children and Young People’s workforce
- be able to communicate effectively in English* (listening, speaking, reading and writing).
* Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
Learners must achieve a total of 19 credits to attain the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Physical Development and Physical Activity in the Early Years ; which must be achieved through completion of all 8 mandatory units.
Mandatory Unit Information
Assess Physical Activities in an Early Years Environment
|2||Principles of Physical Development and Early Movement Skills in an early years environment||J/507/3129||2||20|
|3||Principles of safe practice in early years physical activity sessions||R/507/3134||2||12|
|4||Promoting diversity, equality and inclusion in the early years environment||D/507/3136||2||14|
|5||Promoting health and well-being in the early years||M/507/3139||2||14|
Plan a series of physical activity sessions in an early years environment
|7||Deliver physical activity sessions in an early years environment||K/507/3141||2||15|
Review physical activity sessions in an early years environment
Unlike many other awarding organisations, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification. In addition there is a learning resource produced by the British Heart Foundation which is available to each registered learner.
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and their workforce, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Physical Development and Physical Activity in the Early Years Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- assessment tools
- Internal Quality Assurance tools
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Physical Development and Physical Activity in the Early Years Learner Pack
- assessment tools
- British Heart Foundation learning resource
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the RQF can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learnering Records Service. To be approved to offer this RQF qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learning Records Service Organisational Portal. For more information about this process, please visit Learning Records Service website.