1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby League
In partnership with:
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
Shop for rugby league and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Guided Learning Hours
|Total Qualification Time
|SFA/LAD Funding Code
|Qualification Operational Start Date
|Qualification Review Date
|Certification End Date
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Rugby League**, the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby League is designed to provide learners aged 20 and over with the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to deliver an annual coaching programme to either adults or young people. The Certificate offers an opportunity for learners to be given support to effectively apply the principles of performance profiling, goal setting and designing, planning, delivering and evaluating an annual rugby league coaching programme. It also aims to enable the learner to create an effective coaching environment, establish supportive working relationships and manage the behaviour of players and others.
Rugby League-specific progression opportunities include the following:
- working as a head coach within an amateur rugby league club
- working as a coach within the professional game
- working within the rugby league performance programmes as a regional head coach, national camp coach or international coach.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
**The National Source Group for Rugby League is composed of the constituent governing bodies for rugby league in the UK (Rugby Football League, Wales Rugby League and Scotland Rugby League).
Learners are required to:
- be at least 20 years of age
- have evidence of being able to work with a range of players at the appropriate level that enables the candidate to meet the assessment specification of the qualification
- hold a minimum of the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby League
- provide current/recent evidence of a minimum of two years’ practical experience post-1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby League
- have attended a relevant programme of continuous professional development (CPD) RFL workshops.
- be able to communicate effectively in English1 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
1 Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
||Understanding the principles of safe and equitable coaching practice
||Understanding the fundamentals of coaching programmes
||Understanding the principles of planning coaching programmes
||Understanding how to support participants’ lifestyle through coaching programmes
||Analyse players’ performance and set rugby league programme goals
||Plan rugby league coaching programmes
||Manage safe and effective rugby league coaching programmes
||Deliver rugby league coaching programmes
||Develop players’ performance in rugby league
||Monitor and evaluate rugby league coaching programmes
||Develop rugby league coaching practice
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your students
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby League Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- Internal and independent assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby League Learner Portfolio (hosted electronically on Moodle)
- Internal and independent assessment tools
- A rugby league coaching handbook
- Rugby League Health and Safety Guidelines for Coaching
- The RFL pre-course materials.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre. Further information on fees is available from your qualification application form.
This qualification sits on the RQF. Further information about the benefits of new framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.
Other 1st4sport Qualifications you may be interested in: