1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training
|Guided Learning Hours||349|
|Total Qualification Time||520|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||603/4725/9|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/07/2019|
|Qualification Review Date||31/07/2022|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
The 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training helps learners develop the skills and knowledge required to be able to work as a fitness instructor and a personal trainer within a fitness facility.
The qualification is normally achieved through attendance on a programme of training and the completion of a collection of assessment tasks. Learners are required to:
- complete a series of written tasks and assessment papers covering aspects of anatomy and physiology, nutrition, safety, safeguarding and session preparation
- complete two multiple-choice examinations covering anatomy and physiology
- plan, delivery and evaluate a series of fitness instructing sessions in the learners chosen area of fitness provision
- design, deliver and evaluate personal training programmes
- promote and ensure the health, safety and welfare of others in active leisure and recreation
The qualification delivery and assessment model has been designed by 1st4sport; supported by technical experts, employers and the industry.
* Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Prior to registration learners are required to:
- be appropriately identified
- at least 16 years of age
- able to communicate effectively in English.
There are no further prerequisites prior to certification other than successful completion of all related 1st4sport assessed tasks, enabling full coverage of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria for this qualification.
To qualify for the 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing, and Personal Training, learners must successfully complete ten mandatory units, achieving 24 credits at level 2 and 38 credits at Level 3.
|Unit Title||Unit Reference No.||GLH||Level|
|1||Anatomy and physiology for exercise||H/600/9013||41||2|
|2||Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment||T/600/9016||16||2|
|3||Principles of exercise, fitness and health||A/600/9017||28||2|
|4||Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity||M/600/9015||13||2|
|5||Planning gym-based exercise||F/600/9018||23||2|
|6||Instructing gym-based exercise||A/600/9020||37||2|
|7||Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health||A/600/9051||43||3|
|8||Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme||L/600/9054||43||3|
|9||Programming personal training with clients||F/600/9052||47||3|
|10||Delivering personal training sessions||J/600/9053||58||3|
Unlike many other awarding organisations, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Portfolios, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- assessment papers, to allow the assessment of knowledge through a series of multiple choice questions
- delivery, assessment and quality assurance guidance notes, which includes a sample learning programme to support delivery, sample answers to support assessment and sample internal quality assurance tools to support the quality assurance of the qualification
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- internal assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training Learner Portfolio
- internal assessment tools.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you would like to offer this qualification, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.