1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity)
|Guided Learning (TQT)||72 (151)|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||603/2748/0|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/01/2018|
|Qualification Review Date||30/06/2021|
|Certification End Date||30/06/2022|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
The 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) provides learners aged 16 and over with the skills and knowledge to be able to plan, deliver and evaluate coaching programmes with the potential to seek employment in a lead or head coach role.
Successful achievement of the qualification enables learners to apply the principles of safe and effective sport and physical activity sessions to a group of participants through the delivery of a coaching programme. Successful learners will develop an understanding of appropriate coaching skills and knowledge to be plan, deliver and evaluate coaching programmes.
This qualification has replaced the 1st4sport Level 3 Award in the Principles of Coaching Sport and is aligned to the UK Coaching Common Coaching Content.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Centre systems for the initial assessment of learners must ensure that pre-requisites to registration and certification are considered during the application stage.
Prior to registration learners are required to:
- be appropriately identified
- be at least 16 years of age
- be able to communicate effectively in English.
There are no further prerequisites prior to certification other than the successful completion of all related 1st4sport assessed tasks or equivalent.
The qualification is comprised of five mandatory units and one sport and physical activity-pathway unit:
|Unit Title||Reference No.||GLHs|
|1||The role of the programme coach||H/616/7738||25|
|2||Developing skills though coaching programmes||K/616/7739||23|
|3||Plan a coaching programme||H/616/7741||23|
|4||Deliver a coaching programme||K/616/7742||17|
|5||Review a coaching programme||M/616/7743||9|
|6||Technical requirements for coaching sport and physical activity||A/616/7745||10|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Portfolios, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- Delivery, Assessment and Internal Quality Assurance Approach , which includes delivery models, sample answers to support you when assessing your students and guidance for the internal quality assurance of the qualification
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the following resources support the qualification:
- Administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) Qualification Specification
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) Qualification Handbook
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) Unit Specifications
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
For learners, the following resources support the qualification:
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) Learner Portfolio
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you would like to offer this qualification, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.