1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union (WRU)
In partnership with:
(access partner websites
using logos above)
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
Shop for rugby union and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Credit Value (Guided Learning Hours):
|SFA/LAD Funding Code
|Qualification Operational Start Date
|Qualification Review Date
|Certification End Date
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
The 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union (WRU) provides learners who are over 18 years of age with an introduction to the principles/practice of safe, ethical and effective management and coaching of rugby union to adults and young people, as an assistant, normally under the supervision of a Level 2 qualified coach. Developed in partnership with the Welsh Rugby Union, the Certificate offers an opportunity for aspiring rugby union coaches to be supported in developing their knowledge of how to effectively coach a local club or school team, and is a component of the sport’s UKCC-endorsed coach education programme.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Prior to registration learners are required to:
- have their identity confirmed
- be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing)
- be over 18 years of age due to the level of autonomy and responsibility of a qualified coach of rugby union operating at this level.
Learners are encouraged to have completed the 1st4sport Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union (pre-2010) or post 2010, the 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Rugby Union before applying for this Level 2 qualification.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|| Reference number
|| Guided Learning Hours
|| Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport
|| Understanding the Principles of Planning Coaching Activities in Sport
||Supporting Participants’ Lifestyle through Coaching Sport
||Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice
||Plan a Series of Rugby Union Coaching Sessions
||Prepare the Rugby Union Coaching Environment
||Deliver a Series of Rugby Union Coaching Sessions
||Monitor and Evaluate Rugby Union Coaching Sessions
Unlike many other awarding bodies, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your students
- qualification administration that is available online, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union Qualification Specification and Qualification Handbook, outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union Learner Workbook – provided within the WRU web-based learning platform
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre. Further information on fees is available in your qualification application pack.
The 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union (WRU) is only available through the WRU. Rugby Union Clubs in Wales may seek approval by contacting the WRU.
If you have been granted permission from teh WRU to offer this qualification, please contact [email protected] to request qualifcation approval
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.
Other 1st4sport Qualifications you may be interested in: