1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Basketball
In partnership with:
(access partner websites
using logos above)
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
Shop for basketball and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Guided Learning Hours||48|
|Total Qualification Time||121|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||600/0063/6|
|Apprenticeships||Knowledge component of the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership (coaching pathway)|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||07/12/2010|
|Qualification Review Date||31/12/2020|
|Certification End Date||31/12/2022|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Basketball**, the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Basketball is designed to provide learners aged 18 and over with knowledge and understanding of the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching basketball. The level of knowledge recognised in this qualification will enable them to develop an understanding of the safe, ethical and effective coaching of basketball. Those who complete this Certificate will be able to deliver basketball coaching sessions to adults and children.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal
**The National Source Group for Basketball is composed of the constituent governing bodies for basketball in the UK (England Basketball, basketballscotland and Basketball Wales.)
Learners are required to:
- be a minimum of 18 years of age prior to certification
- hold the 1st4sport Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Basketball or the 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Basketball or equivalent
- have evidence of having successfully attended the sports coach UK ‘Safeguarding and Protecting Children’ workshop or equivalent prior to certification
- have evidence of having successfully attended an appointed person’s first-aid course or equivalent prior to certification
- be able to communicate effectively in English1 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title||Reference No.||GLH||Credit|
|1||Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport||J/601/2101||22||3|
|2||Understanding How to Develop Participants through Coaching Sport||Y/601/2104||12||2|
|3||Supporting Participants’ Lifestyle through Coaching Sport||H/601/2106||16||2|
|4||Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice||M/601/2108||13||2|
|5||Plan a Series of Basketball Coaching Sessions||H/602/5695||9||2|
|6||Prepare the Basketball Coaching Environment||M/602/5697||14||3|
|7||Deliver a Series of Basketball Coaching Sessions||T/602/5720||16||2|
|8||Monitor and Evaluate Basketball Coaching Sessions||A/602/5721||6||1|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Basketball Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- internal and independent assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Basketball Learner Pack
- internal and independent assessment tools.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you are interested in offering this qualification, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.