|Guided Learning Hours (TQT)||80 (180)|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||603/2131/3|
|Apprenticeships||Knowledge component of the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership (Leadership Pathway)|
|Operational Start Date||01/09/2017|
|Qualification Review Date||31/08/2020|
|Certification End Date||31/08/2020|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the Association for Physical Education (afPE), the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport aims to provide learners with an introduction to a number of roles through an engagement with physical education and school sport (PESS), including teaching, activity leadership and coaching for young people. The qualification provides learners with guidance on further opportunities, including how to contribute to PESS programmes as a sports leader, coach and teaching assistant. While this qualification is delivered through the medium of PESS, the skills may be used by learners in working in other sporting environments, under appropriate guidance.
The qualification provides:
- a basis on which to make informed choices about an appropriate career in physical education and school sport
- an opportunity to develop an understanding of supporting learning in physical education and school sport
- an opportunity to develop physical education and school sport knowledge and skills that can be applied to different educational and school sport related settings, such as coaching
- an introduction to a career as a physical education teacher
- an introduction to other opportunities to work as physical education and school sport professionals e.g. Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA), Teaching Assistant (TA), Coach, Sports Development Officer, Volunteer, Leader
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
**The expectation is that this requirement will be complied with by 2015 .
Learners are required to be aged 16 years or over, prior to registration.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|1||Understanding Key Legislation related to Physical Education and School Sport||K/616/0399||10|
|2||Principles of Teaching Physical Education and School Sport||R/616/0400||9|
|3||Principles of Safe Practice in Physical Education and School Sport||Y/616/0401||10|
|4||Principles of Child Development through Movement||D/616/0402||9|
|5||Promoting Lifelong Health and Well-being||H/616/0403||6|
|6||Principles of Inclusion in Physical Education and School Sport||K/616/0404||9|
|7||Prepare for Physical Education and School Sport Activities||M/616/0404||9|
|8||Lead Physical Education and School Sport Activities||A/616/0407||10|
|9||Conclude and Review Physical Education and School Sport Activities||F/616/0408||8|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Portfolios, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- Internal and independent assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport Learner Portfolio
- Internal and independent assessment tools
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you would like to offer this qualification please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.