1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Orienteering
In partnership with:
(access partner website
using logo above)
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
Shop for orienteering and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Credit Value (Guided Learning Hours)||24|
|Total Qualification time||34|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||501/2329/4|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/11/2010|
|Qualification Review Date||31/05/2020|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 2 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section.
Developed in partnership with British Orienteering, the 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Orienteering is the first qualification on the orienteering coaching ladder. The qualification is designed to provide learners aged 16 and over with an introduction to the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching orienteering. The foundation level of knowledge recognised in this qualification will enable them to develop an understanding of the safe, ethical and effective coaching of orienteering. Those who complete this Award will be able to deliver orienteering coaching sessions in British Orienteering Grade A and B Areas to adults and children.
Information on the grading system for area can be found on the British Orienteering website.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Prior to registration, learners are required to:
- be at least 16 years of age
- demonstrate a personal ability to perform the skills and techniques up to and including Level 4 of the Step System, either through evidence of achieving Light Green standard at an orienteering event or via a practical skills assessment.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title||Reference number||GLH||Credit|
|1||Understanding the fundamentals of coaching sport||D/601/3531||6||1|
|2||Understanding the principles of planning coaching activities in sport||H/601/3532||10||1|
|3||Understanding the principles of conducting coaching activities in sport||K/601/3533||10||1|
|4||Understanding the principles of evaluating coaching activities in sport||M/601/3534||7||1|
|5||Planning coaching activities in orienteering||Y/602/5614||6||1|
|6||Conducting coaching activities in orienteering||D/602/5615||9||1|
|7||Evaluating coaching activities in orienteering||H/602/5616||5||1|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your students
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and coach educators, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Orienteering Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- Internal assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Orienteering Learner Pack
- Internal assessment tools.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and a Certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
This qualification is only available through the British Orienteering Federation. Please visit www.britishorienteering.org.uk/coaching for more details
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this RQF qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.