1st4sport Level 3 Award in Education and Training
“The 1st4sport Education and Training Suite of qualifications are perfect to offer to anyone looking for the chance to tutor, assess or quality assure with confidence. The qualifications come with very helpful supporting resources.”
|SFA/LAD Funding Code
|Qualification Operational Start Date
|Qualification Review Date
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
The 1st4sport Level 3 Award in Education and Training has been developed by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS), as an introduction to teaching. Replacing the 1st4sport Level 3 Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) the qualification provides learners with the knowledge and skills to plan, deliver, manage, facilitate, assess and review learning sessions.
This introductory, knowledge-based teaching qualification has no minimum teaching practice requirement. Therefore, it may be undertaken by individuals who are not in a teaching role. However, there is a minimum requirement to take part in microteaching.
The qualification covers:
- understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training;
- understanding and using inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education; and
- understanding assessment in education and training.
Those who complete this qualification and want to continue their professional development can become qualified assessors by completing any of 1st4sport’s assessing qualifications.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Prior to registration, learners are required to:
- be 19 years or over
- be able to communicate effectively in English1 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
1 Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
Group A (Mandatory unit group)
Three (3) credits must be achieved from this group
|Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
Group B (Optional unit group)
Six (6) credits must be achieved from this group
|Understanding and using inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education and training
|Facilitate learning and development in groups (Learning and Development unit)
Facilitate learning and development for individuals (Learning and Development unit)
Group C (Optional unit group)
Three (3) credits must be achieved from this group
|Understanding assessment in education and training
Understanding the principles and practices of assessment
(Learning and Development unit)
Unlike many other awarding organisations, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 3 Award in Education and Training Tutor/Assessor/Verifier Guidance Pack
- assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 3 Award in Education and Training Learner Pack
- assessment tools
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you are interested in applying for centre recognition or Qualification Approval for this qualification, please email [email protected] for further details
This qualification sits on the RQF. Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this RQF qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.
Other 1st4sport Qualifications you may be interested in: