1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union
In partnership with:
(access partner websites
using logos above)
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
Shop for rugby union and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Qualification Accreditation Number||600/0610/9|
|Credit Value (Guided Learning Hours)||26 (96 – 127)|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||600/0610/9|
|Qualification Accreditation Start Date||01/04/2011|
|Qualification Review Date||31/12/2019|
|Qualification Specification and Purpose||Download|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Rugby Union**, the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union provides learners over 18 years of age with an opportunity to study and be assessed for both the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching rugby union to groups of adults and children in an appropriate environment. The qualification progresses from the knowledge gained in the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union introducing the concept of player profiling and the development, delivery and evaluation of annual training programmes. By building on the Level 2 qualification, the advanced level of knowledge needed by more senior coaches is recognised, to effectively apply the principles of performance profiling, goal setting and designing, planning and evaluating a coaching programme and practice. The qualification is also a component of the sport’s UKCC-endorsed coach education programme. An equivalent version of the qualification is available in Scotland, awarded by SQA.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
**The UK Source Group for Rugby Union is composed of the constituent national governing bodies (NGBs) for rugby union in the UK (The Rugby Football Union, Scottish Rugby Union and the Welsh Rugby Union).
Prior to registration, learners are required to:
- be at least 18 or above years of age
- have experience of coaching rugby union, as an appropriately qualified Level 2 coach
- have evidence of completed training in the protection of children from abuse
- have completed the home-nation governing body induction process including a learning needs analysis
- have an active rugby union coaching role in a club, school or rugby union programme to enable evidence gathering for the qualification.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|204||Understanding the principles of safe and equitable coaching practice||M/601/2108||2||2|
|301||Understanding the fundamentals of coaching programmes||T/601/3535||3||3|
|302||Understanding the principles of planning coaching programmes||A/601/3536||3||3|
|303||Understanding how to support participant(s)’ lifestyle through coaching programmes||F/601/3537||3||3|
|304||Analyse rugby union player(s)’ performance and set programme goals||F/502/8951||3||2|
|305||Plan rugby union coaching programmes||F/502/8948||3||2|
|306||Manage safe and effective rugby union coaching programmes||M/502/8640||3||2|
|307||Deliver rugby union coaching programmes||A/502/8625||3||3|
|308||Develop rugby union player(s)’ performance||A/502/8608||3||3|
|309||Monitor and evaluate rugby union coaching programmes||T/502/8591||3||2|
|310||Develop rugby union coaching practice||J/502/8952||3||1|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union Qualification Handbook and Unit Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union Learner Workbook
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Rugby Union Learner Support Resources CD
- 3 Unions Coaching Level 3 Rugby Union Coaching Handbook
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
Organisations are unable to apply to become recognised and approved to deliver this qualification unless the governing body has granted permission, please contact the RFU in the first instance.
If you would like to offer this qualification, and have permission from the RFU, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.