1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Handball
In partnership with:
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
|Guided Learning Hours||32|
|Total Qualification Time||123|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||600/1541/X|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/04/2011|
|Qualification Review Date||31/03/2020|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the England Handball Association (EHA), and endorsed by the European Handball Federation, the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Handball provides learners aged 16 and over with an opportunity to study, and be assessed on, both the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching handball to groups of adults and children in an appropriate environment. The knowledge gained from this Certificate will enable learners to develop an understanding of safe, ethical and effective handball coaching. The Certificate qualifies learners to coach the skills and techniques of the sport of handball to groups of adults and children.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Learners are required to:
- be at least 16 years of age
- have successfully completed one of the following courses:
- EHA Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Handball
- EHA Introduction to Teaching Handball
- EHA Teachers Award KS2 Module.
- be able to communicate effectively in English1 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
Alternatively, learners can evidence handball coaching qualifications of an equivalent standard or above from another handball-playing country. (This will be at the discretion of the EHA on a case by case basis)
1 Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title||Unit Reference No.||GLH||Credit|
|1||Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport||J/601/2101||22||3|
|2||Understanding How to Develop Participants through Coaching Sport||Y/601/2104||12||2|
|3||Supporting Participants’ Lifestyle through Coaching Sport||H/601/2106||16||2|
|4||Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice||M/601/2108||13||2|
|5||Plan a Series of Handball Coaching Sessions||J/503/0930||9||2|
|6||Prepare the Handball Coaching Environment||M/503/0937||14||2|
|7||Deliver a Series of Handball Coaching Sessions||T/503/0941||12||2|
|8||Monitor and Evaluate Handball Coaching Sessions||A/503/0942||6||2|
Unlike many other awarding organisations, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Handball Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- internal and independent assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Handball Learner Pack
- EHA Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Handball Handbook
- internal and independent assessment tools.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
This qualification is delivered through a licensed workforce exclusively managed by the governing body of sport. 1st4sport is happy to direct any organisation aspiring to deliver this qualification to the governing body of sport, where appropriate, to facilitate access for learners to the qualification. Email us at [email protected].
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.