1st4sport Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Tennis
In partnership with:
“We’ve delivered 1st4sport qualifications for a number of years. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the quality of the qualification package and support they provide means I have no hesitation in recommending them.”
Barry Dawson, Programme Leader, Level 2/3 Sport, Darlington College
Shop for tennis and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Guided Learning Hours||277|
|Total Qualification Time||410|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||600/2835/X|
|Apprenticeships||Competence component of the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Coaching (tennis pathway)|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/08/2011|
|Qualification Review Date||30/06/2021|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
Developed in partnership with British Tennis/the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), the 1st4sport Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Tennis** provides confirmation of learners’ competence in an occupational role, employed as a tennis coach. The qualification is designed to provide learners aged 16 and over with an introduction to the processes and principles of coaching the sport to adults and children, and introduces them to the principles/practice of safe, ethical and effective management and coaching of tennis sessions. Completing the qualification confirms that learners are able to coach the skills and techniques of the sport of tennis, as identified in the Level 2 tennis Technical Syllabus, to groups of adults and children.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
**The qualification is the competence component of the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Coaching via the tennis pathway.
Prior to registration, learners are required to:
- be at least 16 years of age to attend the programme of training
- hold one of the following qualifications or equivalent:
- 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Tennis
- LTA Tennis Assistants Certificate of Attendance
- LTA Elementary Tennis Teachers Certificate (ETTC), Elementary Coaches Award (ECA) or Part 1 Coaching Qualification
- Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) in PE
- recognised Level 2 coaching qualification in another sport
- be able to communicate effectively in English1 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
Prior to certification, learners are required to have confirmation of:
- attendance at a current appointed persons first aid course
- receipt of a positive Discrimination and Barring Service (DBS) check via the LTA mechanism.
1Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Title||Unit Reference Number||GLHs||Credit|
|201||Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport||J/601/2101||22||3|
|202||Understanding How to Develop Participants through Coaching Sport||Y/601/2104||12||2|
|203||Supporting Participants’ Lifestyle through Coaching Sport||H/601/2106||16||2|
|204||Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice||M/601/2108||13||2|
|205||Plan a Series of Tennis Coaching Sessions||F/602/5655||11||3|
|206||Prepare the Tennis Coaching Environment||J/602/5656||12||2|
|207||Deliver a Series of Tennis Coaching Sessions||L/602/5657||17||3|
|208||Monitor and Evaluate Tennis Coaching Sessions||R/602/5658||4||1|
Unlike many other awarding organisations, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
Plus, you can turn to our specialist team for support with confidence as you will have access to our responsive technical enquiry service, and regular support from an allocated external verifier.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements for centres when delivering, assessing and quality assuring the qualification, as well as the technical content/syllabus that must be covered
- 1st4sport Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Tennis Tutor/Assessor/Verifier Guidance Pack.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the 1st4sport Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Tennis Learner Pack.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
This qualification is currently unavailable for Qualification Approval.
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN). To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can provide a valid ULN for every learner registration through the Learning Records Service (LRS). For more information about ULNs, the registration process and the LRS, please visit the Learning Records Service website or the Learning Records Service information page.