1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Bowls
In partnership with:
(access partner websites
using logo aboves)
|Guided Learning Hours||40|
|Totla Qualification Time||130|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||600/6090/6|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||29/06/2012|
|Qualification Review Date||30/09/2021|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Bowls**, the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Bowls provides learners aged 16 and over with an opportunity to study, and be assessed on, both the theoretical and practical aspects of coaching bowls. They will develop their knowledge of how to effectively plan, conduct and evaluate a series of bowls coaching sessions in a safe, ethical and effective manner. Those who complete this Certificate will be able to deliver bowls coaching sessions to adults and children.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
**The National Source Group for Bowls is composed of the constituent governing bodies for bowls in the UK (Bowls Development Alliance (BDA), English Indoor Bowling Association and Bowls England).
Centre systems for the initial assessment of learners must ensure that pre-requisites to registration and certification are considered during the application stage. Learners who wish to undertake this level of bowls qualification must meet the prerequisites outlined below.
Prior to registration learners are required to
- be a minimum of 17 years of age
- hold a minimum of a Level 1 bowls coaching/instructing certificate or equivalent based on individual application
- be able to communicate effectively in English2 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
Note: Prior to the commencement of the course learners are encouraged to have been involved in the game of bowls in either a participant or coach capacity. On successful completion, learners are encouraged to seek BDA membership.
1Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title||Unit Reference Number||Level||GLH||Credit|
|201||Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport||J/601/2101||2||22||3|
|202||Understanding How to Develop Participants through Coaching Sport||Y/601/2104||2||12||2|
|203||Supporting Participants’ Lifestyle through Coaching Sport||H/601/2106||2||16||2|
|204||Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching||M/601/2108||2||13||2|
|205||Plan a Series of Bowls Coaching Sessions||T/504/1177||2||9||2|
|206||Prepare the Bowls Coaching Environment||A/504/1178||2||14||2|
|207||Deliver a Series of Bowls Coaching Sessions||F/504/1179||2||16||2|
|208||Monitor and Evaluate Bowls Coaching Sessions||F/504/1182||2||6||2|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- coach educator guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your students
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Bowls Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- internal and independent assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Bowls Learner Pack
- internal and independent assessment tools
- BDA Technical Syllabus
- BDA Coaching Bowls Learner Resource
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
This qualification is delivered through a licensed workforce exclusively managed by the governing body of sport. 1st4sport is happy to direct any organisation aspiring to deliver this qualification to the governing body of sport, where appropriate, to facilitate access for learners to the qualification.
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.