|Guided Learning Hours||242|
|Total Qualification Time||370|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||601/6791/9|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/12/2015|
|Qualification Review Date||31/12/2021|
|Certification End Date||31/12/2023|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
The 1st4sport Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness helps learners develop the skills and knowledge required to be able to work unsupervised as a fitness instructor within one of four areas of fitness provision:
- gym based exercise
- exercise to music
- water based exercise
- exercise and physical activity for children
The qualification is normally achieved through a programme of training and assessment that take place in the workplace, including the completion of a collection of assessment tasks. Learners are required to:
- complete a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate competence within the role in their chosen discipline which will include the planning, delivery and evaluation of a series of fitness instructing sessions in the learners chosen area of fitness provision
- complete two multiple-choice examinations covering anatomy and physiology
The qualification delivery and assessment model has been designed by 1st4sport; supported by technical experts, employers and the industry.
* Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Prior to registration learners are required to:
- be appropriately identified
- at least 16 years of age
- able to communicate effectively in English.
There are no further prerequisites prior to certification other than successful completion of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria for this qualification.
To qualify for the 1st4sport Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, learners must successfully complete five mandatory units, and two mandatory units from their chosen pathway, obtaining a minimum of 37 credits.
|Unit Title||Unit Reference No.||GLH||Level|
|1||Anatomy and physiology for exercise||H/600/9013||41||2|
|2||Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation||D/601/4484||30||2|
|3||Principles of exercise, fitness and health||A/600/9017||28||2|
|4||Work with clients to help them to adhere to exercise and physical activity||A/601/7361||25||2|
|5||Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity||F/601/7362||23||2|
|Optional Pathway A – Gym Based Exercise|
|A1||Plan and prepare gym-based exercise||J/601/7363||43||2|
|A2||Instruct and supervise gym-based exercise||L/601/7364||43||2|
|Optional Pathway B – Exercise to Music|
|B1||Plan and prepare group exercise to music sessions||R/601/7365||33||2|
|B2||Instruct group exercise to music||Y/601/7366||43||2|
|Optional Pathway C – Water Based Exercise|
|C1||Plan and prepare water-based exercise||D/601/7367||35||2|
|C2||Instruct water-based exercise||H/601/7368||41||2|
|Optional Pathway D – Exercise and Physical Activity for Children|
|D1||Plan and prepare health related exercise and physical activity for children||K/601/7369||55||2|
|D2||Instruct health related exercise and physical activity for children||D/601/7370||40||2|
Unlike many other awarding organisations, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Portfolios, which include a full set of structured assessment tools to help you assess the qualification
- assessment papers, to allow the assessment of knowledge through a series of multiple choice questions
- delivery, assessment and quality assurance guidance notes, which includes a sample learning programme to support delivery and assessment and sample internal quality assurance tools to support the quality assurance of the qualification
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach
- internal assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness Learner Portfolio
- internal assessment tools.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you would like to offer this qualification, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.