1st4sport Level 1 Triathlon Coach
In partnership with:
Shop for triathlon and generic coaching books and resources at 1st4sport.com.
|Guided Learning Hours (Total Qualification Time)||26 (45)|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||600/0055/7|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/09/2016|
|Qualification Operational End Date||31/12/2020|
|Certification End Date||31/12/2021|
|Qualification Purpose Statement||Download|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 2 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the British Triathlon Federation, working closely with Triathlon England, Triathlon Scotland and Welsh Triathlon, the 1st4sport Level 1 Triathlon Coach is the first qualification on the triathlon coaching ladder. The qualification is designed to provide learners aged 16 and over with an introduction to the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching triathlon. The foundation level of knowledge recognised in this qualification will enable them to develop an understanding of the safe, ethical and effective coaching of triathlon. Those who complete this qualification will be able to assist more qualified triathlon coaches to deliver triathlon coaching sessions to adults and children.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Prior to registration for the qualification learners are required to:
- be accurately identified
- be at least 16 years of age
- be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
NB: It is also strongly recommended that learners have appropriate insurance cover before undertaking any coaching practice. Those working with children will be required to have been positively vetted by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
The qualification is divided into the following three mandatory components:
|Component Title||Reference No.||GLH|
|1||The role of the Triathlon session coach||A/615/2078||8|
|2||The Triathlon coach in practice||R/615/2085||8|
|3||Technical coaching requirements for Triathlon||Y/615/2086||10|
Unlike many other awarding bodies, who just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Workbooks and Assessment materials, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor and internal quality assurance guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your students
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 1 Triathlon Coach Delivery, Assessment and Quality Assurance Approach including a delivery model, exemplar assessment answers and tools and templates to support internal quality assurance
- Internal assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 1 Triathlon Coach Learner Workbook
- 1st4sport Level 1 Triathlon Coach Learner Record of Achievement
- Internal assessment tools.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
Organisations are unable to apply to become recognised and approved to deliver this qualification unless the governing body has granted permission, please contact British Triathlon in the first instance.
If you would like to offer this qualification, and you have approval from British Triathlon, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this RQF qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service Website.