This qualification is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required to enable you to develop high level time trial cyclists through creative and thoughtful coaching practice. The qualification is composed of eleven mandatory units.
The qualification is recognised as the industry standard level 3 qualification for coaching mountain biking to adults and young people by British Cycling.
The qualification is also endorsed by the trade association for coaches, UK Coaching, as meeting its UKCC criteria.
Download the Qualification Purpose Statement
The qualification is designed to prepare aspiring coaches for employment as a Mountain Biking Coach in paid or voluntary roles, potentially within a high performance team. It is appropriate for existing Level 2 cycling coaches wishing to further develop, refine and enhance their coaching skills in within the specialised area of mountain biking.
To be eligible to attend the programme of learning relating to this qualification, you need to:
- have your identity confirmed
- be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- hold a 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Cycling, or demonstrate equivalent competency developed through an alternative training programme or relevant vocational experience, or a 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate Coaching in another cycling discipline (Road and Time Trial or Track).
- have completed the British Cycling Level 2 Mountain Biking Coaching Award, or demonstrate equivalent competency developed through an alternative training programme or relevant vocational experience.
Prior to certification, you are required to:
- be at least 18 years of age.
This qualification leads to paid or voluntary roles in coaching mountain biking in a variety of settings including working as a coach within a high performance team.
The skills and knowledge developed through completion of this qualification may also be used enable you to progress to other industry-relevant qualifications in coaching other sports, supporting PE in school sport and sports development.