1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing
Qualification Number: 603/5240/1
This qualification is designed to provide benefit to you by supporting you in your role in the workplace as a gym instructor in fitness facility. The aim of this qualification is to help you develop the skills and knowledge required to be able to work unsupervised as a fitness instructor.
The assessment for this qualification will require you to:
- complete a series of written tasks covering nutrition, safety, safeguarding and session preparation
- complete two multiple-choice examinations covering anatomy and physiology
- plan, delivery and evaluate a series of fitness instructing sessions in the learners chosen area of fitness provision
To qualify for the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing, you must successfully complete six mandatory units.
The qualification is recognised as the industry standard level 2 qualification for fitness instructing and successful learners will be able to seek REPS membership at Level 2.
The qualification is designed to prepare individuals for employment in paid or voluntary roles in gym instruction in a fitness facility. To register for this qualification, you must:
- be accurately identified
- be at least 16 years of age
- be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing. You must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.)
There are no additional prerequisites to certification other than the successful completion of the required assessments.
This qualification leads to paid or voluntary roles in fitness instructing in a variety of settings, but most commonly within a fitness club environment.
The skills and knowledge developed through completion of his qualification may also be used enable you to progress to other industry-relevant qualifications in coaching sport, leadership, supporting PE in school sport and sports development. Following a period of practice as a qualified Level 2 fitness instructor, you may also choose to progress into a personal training role. In order to develop into this role, you may find it beneficial to complete the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training or the 1st4sport Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training.
Recognised centres offering this qualification determine their own fees, and they will vary from centre to centre. The fees charged should entitle you to a programme of learning and assessment, registration and certification for the qualification, a 1st4sport Learner Pack and an appropriate learning resource.
For further information on the costs of courses, please contact a recognised centre. Opportunities for funding may be available via a recognised centre, if you are eligible.