Qualification Number: 601/7678/7
This qualification, intended for learners aged 14 and over, introduces you to the scope of the active leisure industry and the skills required for employment within the sport and physical activity sector. You will have the opportunity to participate in sports and physical activities, developing an understanding of the rules and safety considerations. You will then apply this knowledge by developing the ability to lead sport and physical activity sessions.
Successful learners will develop a series of key transferable skills which include:
- researching an employment sector to establish development pathways (academic and vocational)
- exploring how to manage and maintain professional relationships within the industry
- participating in a range of physical activities; recognising rules, safety considerations and resource requirements
- planning, leading and evaluating safe and inclusive sport and physical activities and sessions.
You will be required to explore the active leisure, sport and physical activity industry in order to identify various professional and academic opportunities available to them, a skill which can be applied across all employment industries. You will be able to make informed decisions relating to their future should they wish to enter this industry.
Attendance on the qualification supports active and healthy lifestyles, in line with the Sport England Participation Agenda and other health and active lifestyle initiatives.
This qualification consists of four mandatory components. Learners must successfully complete all four mandatory components to achieve the qualification.
- Career Pathways in Active Leisure
- Participating in Sport and Physical Activity
- Creating and Maintaining Professional Relationships in Active Leisure
- Leading Sport and Physical Activities
Prior to registration for the qualification you are required to:
- be at least 14 years of age
- be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
This qualification sits within a progressive suite of technical and applied general qualifications offered by 1st4sport. The 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Active Leisure, Sport and Physical Activities has been designed for the pre-16 learner, to be studied alongside GCSE and/or other technical awards. Learners who have already completed GCSEs may look to complete the either 1st4sport Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Sport and Instructing Physical Activities, the 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Sport and Physical Activities or the 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Sports Performance and Excellence, depending on their GCSE performance and their areas of interest.
completion of this qualification will allow you to progress to an intermediate, or potentially an advanced, apprenticeship in a range of sport and active leisure sector areas, or to Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications, such as A-levels, Technical Certificates, Technical Levels and Applied Generals.
1st4sport-specific Exit Routes: Learners who complete this qualification successfully may progress onto the following technical and applied general qualifications offered by 1st4sport (depending on overall academic performance):
- 1st4sport Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Sport and Instructing Physical Activities (16 – 19 Performance Tables, technical certificate category)
- 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Sport and Physical Activities(16 – 19 Performance Tables, applied general category)
- 1st4sport Level 3 Diploma in Sports Performance and Excellence (16 – 19 Performance Tables, applied general category)
Alternatively, learners may progress onto a range of 1st4sport Level 2 and Level 3 vocational qualifications including:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport
- 1st4sport Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Activity Leadership
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Leisure Management
- 1st4sport Level 3 Award in the Principles for Coaching Sport
This qualification may lead to paid employment or unpaid voluntary roles in leading sports activities, working as part of a coaching team as an assistant or support role. This could include supporting the delivery of activities within primary schools or securing a part-time role within a leisure facility, holiday club or a community based participation programme. It is essential to note that learners are not able to lead activities autonomously until they are 18 years old. The qualification will support an application for an intermediate apprenticeship in activity leadership, coaching, exercise and fitness or leisure operations for learners seeking to progress to a paid in-training role rather than opting for traditional post-16 educational routes.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification and a Certificate.
There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre. Further information on fees is available in your qualification application pack.