1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Sports Performance
|Credit Value (Guided Learning Hours)||29 (215)|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||601/4176/1|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/07/2014|
|Qualification Review Date||31/03/2019|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 4 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with SkillsActive, the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Sports Performance is designed to give learners the opportunity to gain knowledge, credit and a qualification in understanding the elite sports training environment, specifically within their chosen sport. The learner will be expected to understand how to help to plan, manage and evaluate their training programme and the extent to which their sport influences their life.
The qualification forms a crucial part of the Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE), helping to develop and nurture athletes, and must be completed in conjunction with the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Achieving Excellence in Sports Performance. The AASE programme gives athletes more high quality coaching hours, better access to modern, well equipped facilities and the use of new technologies. It also provides for second career development, should an athlete fall short of their ultimate sporting goal or choose to follow an alternative career path.
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Only learners who are accepted on to the AASE programme will be able to access and achieve the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Sports Performance. AASE entry routes are only open to:
- full-time contracted apprentices at professional clubs
- full-time elite athletes receiving support from the lottery world class programme and identified by their governing body of sport
- any young people involved in the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS)
- those talented young people in the ‘academy environment’ at professional clubs not yet offered full-time terms.
You will need to refer to governing bodies of sport for further information on entry and eligibility to access the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Sports Performance.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title||Unit Reference No.||GLH||Credit|
|1||Understanding Technical Skills to Achieve Excellence in Sport||
|2||Understanding Tactical Skills to Achieve Excellence in Sport||
|3||Understanding Physical Capability to Achieve Excellence in Sport||
|4||Understanding Nutrition to Achieve Excellence in Sport||L/506/4500||15||2|
|5||Understanding Psychological Skills and Attitudes in Relation to Excellence in Sport||
|6||Understanding Lifestyle to Achieve Excellence in Sport||M/506/1069||15||2|
|7||Understanding How to Develop Own Career in Sport||
|8||Understanding Communication and Teamwork to Achieve Excellence in Sport||
|9||Understanding Health and Safety at Training and Competition Venues||
Unlike many other awarding organisations, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Sports Performance Tutor/Assessor/Verifier Guidance to Delivery.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Sports Performance Learner Pack.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. Centre recognition, qualification approval and annual centre fees may also be applicable.
If you would like to offer this qualification, please contact [email protected]
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for RQF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.