|Qualification Number ||501/2229/0|
|Credit Value (Guided Learning Hours) ||17 (45–108)|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code ||501/2229/0|
|Entry age: ||18|
|Apprenticeships ||Knowledge component of the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership (coaching pathway)|
|Qualification Operational Start Date ||01/12/2010|
|Qualification Operational End Date ||28/02/2015|
|Certification End Date ||28/02/2017|
This qualification is equivalent to Level 3 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)*.
To find out how to apply to deliver this qualification see the How to Apply section. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre.
Developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Netball1, the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) is designed to provide learners with an introduction to the processes and principles of coaching netball to adults and children. The Certificate offers an opportunity for netball coaches to be supported in developing their knowledge of how to effectively plan, conduct and evaluate a series of netball coaching sessions in a safe, ethical and effective manner. Those who complete this Certificate will be able to work as a netball coach, either alone or as part of a larger coaching team.
1The National Source Group for Netball is composed of the constituent governing bodies for netball in the UK (England Netball, Welsh Netball and Netball Scotland).
*Please note there may be exceptions to the above. Further information about the EQF can be found on the EQF Portal.
Learners are required to:
- be at least 18 years of age
- have attended a recognised child protection/duty of care training course prior to certification
- have attended a recognised emergency first-aid course prior to certification
- be able to communicate effectively in English1 (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
It is highly recommended that learners hold the 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Netball (QCF) or equivalent.
1 Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title ||Reference No. ||GLH ||Credit|
|201 ||Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport ||J/601/2101 ||22 ||3|
|202 ||Understanding How to Develop Participants through Coaching Sport ||Y/601/2104 ||12 ||2|
|203 ||Supporting Participants’ Lifestyle through Coaching Sport ||H/601/2106 ||16 ||2|
|204 ||Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice ||M/601/2108 ||13 ||2|
|205 ||Plan a Series of Netball Coaching Sessions ||Y/602/5659 ||9 ||2|
|206 ||Prepare the Netball Coaching Environment ||L/602/5660 ||14 ||2|
|207 ||Deliver a Series of Netball Coaching Sessions ||R/602/5661 ||16 ||3|
|208 ||Monitor and Evaluate Netball Coaching Sessions ||Y/602/5662 ||6 ||2|
Unlike many other awarding organisations, which just supply you with the basic qualification standards, we go that extra mile to support you by providing:
- full and comprehensive Learner Packs, which include a full set of structured learning and assessment tasks to help you deliver and assess the qualification
- tutor/assessor guidance notes, which include sample answers to support you when assessing your learners
- online qualification administration, enabling you to process learners quickly and effectively, and making the records we hold on your learners accessible to you at the click of a mouse.
For recognised centres and tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) Tutor/Assessor/Verifier Guidance Pack
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) Tutor/Assessor/Verifier Guidance to Assessment Pack
- internal and independent assessment tools.
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) Learner Pack
- internal and independent assessment tools
- Netball Health and Safety Guidelines for Coaching
- a coaching handbook
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a 1st4sport Learner Pack, learning resources and certificate. There are no costs involved in applying or becoming a 1st4sport recognised centre. Further information on fees is available from your qualification application form.
How to Apply
Organisations are unable to apply to become recognised and approved to deliver this qualification unless the governing body has granted permission, please contact England Netball in the first instance.
Organisations new to 1st4sport
If you are not already a 1st4sport recognised centre, you need to apply to become one. The first step is to check you can meet the Centre Recognition and Qualification Approval Criteria for this qualification and submit the forms to us.
You can find more information on this process by visiting: Five Steps to Becoming a 1st4sport Recognised Centre.
Please note: you will not be able to become recognised or approved until you have confirmed that you can meet these criteria.
Existing 1st4sport recognised centres
If you are already a 1st4sport recognised centre and would like to seek approval to deliver this qualification, please check that your centre can meet the Qualification Approval Criteria.
You can find more information on this process by visiting: Four Steps to Becoming Approved to Deliver an Additional Qualification.
Please note: you will not be able to become approved until you have confirmed that you can meet these criteria.
This qualification sits on the QCF. Further information about the benefits of the new framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.
All learners being registered for QCF qualifications are required to have a Unique Learner Number (ULN) issued by the Learner Register. To be approved to offer this QCF qualification, you will need to demonstrate that you can access and verify learners’ ULNs with the Learner Register. For more information about this process, please visit the Learning Records Service website.