The 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) is awarded by 1st4sport Qualifications and has been developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Netball. The 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) is regulated at Level 3 on the Qualifications and Credit Framework and forms part of netball’s UK Coaching Certificate (UKCC) endorsed coach education programme. For further information on the regulated status of the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF), please log on to The Register of Regulated Qualifications website.
For further information on the UKCC, visit www.sportscoachuk.org.
If you are an adult (over 18 years of age) and:
- hold the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Netball or equivalent as agreed by the netball home countries
- are coaching a netball club/team regularly that competes in competitive matches
- have experience of coaching the same club/team for a minimum of one complete season in the last three years
- have experience of coaching a variety of age groups and abilities
- hold a current first-aid qualification (or equivalent)
- have attended child protection/safeguarding children workshops
- would like to coach at a higher level and be involved in the delivery of annual coaching programmes within a club
...then the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF) is designed for you.
Note: For this qualification, it is desirable to be IT literate and have access to the Internet.
It forms part of a structured and progressive programme of sports coaching and other related qualifications, offering you access and involvement in introducing others to the sport of netball.
What can I use it for?
- To gain paid or unpaid employment as a netball coach.
- As preparation for in-depth working with a team.
- As part of the development of a credible CV for employment in the sport, recreation and allied occupations industry.
- To lead netball coaching programmes.
- To be involved in county academies and national league clubs.
On successful completion of the 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF), you should be able to:
- understand how to ensure participants’ safety during netball coaching sessions
- understand how to ensure equitable coaching of netball activities
- understand the role of the coach when planning, implementing, analysing and revising netball annual coaching programmes
- understand the coaching process
- understand how to utilise a range of learning and behaviour management techniques
- understand the principles and application of self-reflection and reflecting on feedback
- understand the principles and processes involved in planning and periodisation within annual coaching programmes
- understand the stages of participant development
- understand the development of skill through netball annual coaching programmes
- understand how to conduct performance evaluation
- understand how to support participants’ physical conditioning within netball annual coaching programmes
- understand how to provide participants with nutritional advice within netball annual coaching programmes
- understand how to develop participants’ mental skills within netball annual coaching programmes
- understand how to provide participants with lifestyle support within netball annual coaching programmes
- establish the key netball-specific performance factors and players’ needs
- involve netball players in the analysis of the collected information
- plan netball programme goals for players based on collected information
- design and plan netball coaching programmes to achieve players’ goals
- identify and access resources to support the delivery of netball programmes
- plan for the evaluation of netball programmes
- establish and maintain the safety of the coaching environment during the delivery of netball coaching programmes
- establish and maintain relationships with players and others involved in the delivery of netball programmes
- manage netball player behaviour and interactions
- initiate netball coaching programmes
- review players’ progress during the implementation of the netball programme
- modify netball coaching programmes in response to feedback and changes in needs
- make preparations for netball coaching
- implement netball coaching activities
- monitor the implementation of netball coaching programmes
- monitor own contributions to the netball coaching programme
- be able to review own netball coaching practice
- provide assistance in the development of other netball coaches
- effectively evaluate your activities and develop a plan for your further development as a coach.
How will my learning programme be structured?
The recognised centre that delivers the qualification usually designs its own learning programmes. They may, therefore, vary in length and format. Depending on your needs, delivery centres can offer intensive courses or a series of learning events over a period of weeks. Whatever the timescale, all learning programmes should include the following phases:
- an induction to the qualification and your programme of learning and assessment
- a learning programme that meets your needs, focusing on the theory and practice of
- a programme of assessment, spread throughout the course, including observations of
your coaching by an appropriately qualified assessor.
At the end of the programme, you will be provided with formal feedback on your performance and an action plan for your further development.
The 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Netball (QCF)assessment will require you to:
- complete tasks based on the role and remit of a Level 3 coach, benchmarking current performance standards
- outline an annual training programme for two netball players
- plan an eight-week netball coaching programme for two netball players
- plan netball coaching sessions within the programme
- produce a coaching log and evaluations
- produce risk assessments for all venues used during the qualification
- be observed on two occasions managing a safe coaching environment (this will be observed and assessed by an appropriately qualified assessor)
- demonstrate improving individual performance
- monitor and evaluate two individual netball players
- produce evidence of continuous professional development (CPD) and action-planning
- deliver two planned netball coaching sessions
- produce evidence of self-evaluation.
Recognised centres offering this qualification determine their own fees and they will vary from centre to centre. The fees charged should entitle you to a programme of learning and assessment, registration and certification for the qualification, a 1st4sport Learner Pack and an appropriate learning resource. For further information on the costs of courses, please contact a recognised centre.
Opportunities for funding may be available via a recognised centre, if you are eligible.
The qualification is only delivered by 1st4sport Qualifications’ recognised centres, not all of which offer open courses to members of the public. Your first port of call to access a course is to check the recognised centre finder.