The L2CCROW is awarded by 1st4sport Qualifications and has been developed in partnership with the National Source Group for Rowing.
It is accredited at Level 2 on the National Qualifications Framework. For further information on the accredited status of the L2CCROW, please log on to the QCA-accredited qualifications website.
If you are an adult (over 16 years of age) with some experience of rowing or of coaching other sports at this level, and you would like to develop and improve your coaching skills, then the L2CCROW is designed for you.
It forms part of a structured and progressive programme of sports coaching and other related qualifications, offering you access and involvement in introducing others to the sport of rowing.
What can I use it for?
To gain paid or unpaid employment as a rowing coach.
As part of the development of a credible CV for employment in the sport and recreation industry.
NB: Due to the level of autonomy and responsibility attached to a qualified coach operating at this level, holders of this qualification who are under 18 years of age must be supervised by another licensed coach qualified to a minimum of Level 2 or above, or a qualified teacher.
Your learning programme will develop your understanding of:
- coaching principles and ethics in rowing
- how to plan rowing coaching sessions
- the delivery of rowing coaching sessions
- how to review rowing coaching sessions.
How will my learning programme be structured?
Learning programmes are usually designed by the recognised centre that delivers the qualification. They may, therefore, vary in length and format. Depending on your needs, delivery centres can offer intensive courses or a series of learning events over a period of weeks. Whatever the timescale, all learning programmes should include the following phases:
- an induction to the qualification and your programme of learning and assessment
- a learning programme that meets your needs, focusing on the theory and practice of coaching rowing
- a programme of assessment, spread throughout the course, including observations of your coaching by an appropriately qualified assessor.
At the end of the programme, you will be provided with formal feedback on your performance and an action plan for your further development.
The L2CCROW assessment will require you to:
- produce an outline plan for a series of four linked rowing coaching sessions, including individual session plans and evaluation forms
- produce individual plans of delivery for six rowing coaching sessions
- produce two risk assessments
- produce a coaching log of sessions delivered
- deliver and evaluate two rowing coaching sessions that will be observed and assessed by an appropriately qualified assessor
- sit a written multiple-choice theory paper covering the knowledge and understanding requirements of all units of the qualification.
Recognised centres offering this qualification determine their own fees and they will vary from centre to centre. The fees charged should entitle you to a programme of learning and assessment, registration and certification for the qualification, a 1st4sport Learner Pack and an appropriate learning resource. For further information on the costs of courses, please contact a recognised centre.
Opportunities for funding may be available via a recognised centre, if you are eligible.
The qualification is only delivered by 1st4sport Qualifications’ recognised centres, not all of which offer open courses to members of the public. Your first port of call to access a course is to check the recognised centre finder.